How To Choose a Personal Trainer
So, you decided you want to hire a personal trainer? Not sure how to choose one? These are things you might want to consider when selecting a personal trainer whether it’s in Jacksonville, Orange Park, Ponte Vedra or Timbuktu.
Make sure the trainer is certified with a reputable organization such as ACE, AFAA, YMCA, NASM, etc. The trainer should also have a current CPR certification. Other certifications such as nutrition are a plus. You should inquire as to whether or not the trainer is insured.
A personal trainer should require a medical clearance form to be completed before they agree to work with you. The trainer needs to know about any physical limitations you may have. They should also have a policy explaining cancellations, costs, length of sessions, etc.
Inquire as to the personal trainer’s experience.
- Has the trainer worked with different types of clients with various levels of ability?
- Has the trainer worked with clients of different ages?
- Are the workouts personalized for an individual’s goals and abilities?
- Are the workouts challenging and progress from session to session?
- Is the trainer a role model?
- Does the trainer walk the talk? Do they look like they practice what they preach as far as living a healthy lifestyle and eating a healthy diet?
- Does the trainer seem genuinely interested in you and you achieving your desired goals?
When selecting a personal trainer, you should select someone you feel comfortable with. Do you genuinely like this person? Remember you will be spending an hour at a time with this person. It is important that the trainer and you be a good match.
The trainer/client relationship is a personal one. To achieve your goals, it is important to find the right trainer for you. Does the trainer seem honest? Can you be honest with this trainer? Is the trainer inspiring and motivating? Is the trainer positive?
Don’t be afraid to ask for references and check up on the trainer to see what former and current clients have to say about their style of training, professionalism and accountability.
While this may seem like a lot of things to consider, its worth the effort to ensure your best chances of meeting your physical goals.
Call me now at 904-993-2597 for a free 30-minute consultation and I’ll let you know how I measure up to these questions.